In relation to organisations providing air traffic management, air navigation services, other network functions and training of air traffic controllers - according to the relevant legislation - the Agency fulfils the following tasks:
- Conduct, itself or through other competent authorities or qualified entities, inspections and audits of the organisations it certifies;
- Issue and renew certificates of :
- ATM/ANS organisations located outside the territory of the Member States responsible for providing services within the territory of the Member States,
- ATM/ANS organisations providing pan-European services;
- ATCO training organisations located outside the territory of the Member States and, where relevant, their personnel;
- Amend, suspend or revoke the relevant certificate, when the conditions according to which it was issued are no longer fulfilled, or if the holder of the certificate fails to fulfil the obligations imposed on it by the relevant regulation or by its implementing rules.
The following legislation is applicable to ATM/ANS and ATCO Training Organisations:
Main legislative act:
- Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 of the European Parliament and of the Council - Basic Regulation – (Relevant section: Articles 40, 41 to 47 and Articles 48 to 54)
Main implementing rules related to the provision of ATM/ANS and ATCO licensing:
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2017/373 of 1 March 2017 laying down common requirements for providers of air traffic management/air navigation services and other air traffic management network functions and their oversight, repealing Regulation (EC) No 482/2008, Implementing Regulations (EU) No 1034/2011, (EU) No 1035/2011 and (EU) 2016/1377 and amending Regulation (EU) No 677/2011 (applies from 2 January 2020, with the exception of DAT provision which has an earlier applicability date)
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 923/2012 of 26 September 2012 laying down the common rules of the air and operational provisions regarding services and procedures in air navigation and amending Implementing Regulation (EU) 1035/2011 and Regulations (EC) 1265/2007, 1794/2006, 730/2006, 1033/2006, 255/2010
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2015/340 of 20 February 2015 laying down technical requirements and administrative procedures relating to air traffic controllers' licences and certificates pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 of the European Parliament and of the Council, amending Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 923/2012 and repealing Commission Regulation (EU) No 805/2011
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/123 of 24 January 2019 laying down detailed rules for the implementation of air traffic management (ATM) network functions and repealing Commission Regulation (EU) No 677/2011 (applies from 1 January 2020)
This legislation is updated regularly. A full overview can be found on the Regulations page.
An ATM/ANS Organisation Approval or an ATCO Training Organisation Approval can be applied for by submitting the relevant application form (see Application forms page).
Fees & Charges
In accordance with Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/2153, the Agency levies fees and charges for all its certification and approvals activities.
Notification of Proposed Changes to Functional Systems
According to Article 6, Annex III of Regulation (EU) 2017/373, organisations under EASA oversight must notify all planned safety-related changes. To do so, please find the dedicated form (FO.AOA.00082 ATM-ANS Organisation Approval Notification of Proposed Change to Functional System) in the Downloads box on this page.
Contacts for ATM/ANS and ATCO Training Organisations Approvals
Queries related to ATM/ANS and ATCO Training Organisations Approvals can be sent to: AtmAnsOrg [at] easa [dot] europa [dot] eu
Letters and paper documents/records can be sent to:
European Union Aviation Safety Agency
ATM/ANS Standards, Implementation & Oversight Section
P.O. Box 10 12 53
D-50452 Cologne, Germany