With reference to Rulemaking Task (RMT).0251 Phase II in EPAS 2019-2023, this Notice of Proposed Amendment (NPA) proposes amendments to Annex I (Part 21) to Regulation (EU) No 748/2012 and Annex II (Part-145) to Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014, in order to:
- introduce safety management principles that implement ICAO Annex 19; and
- foster an organisational culture for effective safety management and effective occurrence reporting in accordance with Commission Regulation (EU) No 376/2014.
Note 1: Phase I of RMT.0251 was limited to the introduction of safety management requirements into Part-CAMO (see Opinion No 06/2016).
Note 2: The review of the occurrence reporting system was governed by RMT.0681, but certain additional changes are proposed through this RMT, in light of the principles of ICAO Annex 19, Chapter 5.
This NPA proposes to consider the applicability of safety management systems (SMSs) to Part-145 approved maintenance organisations, as well as to production and design organisations that are approved in accordance with Subparts G and J of Part 21.
By doing so, safety will be enhanced through:
- the establishment of safety policies and objectives that are associated with sufficient resources;
- the systematic identification of hazards, and a risk management system;
- the safety assurance system, including giving consideration to safety performance; and
- safety promotion.
This RMT also aims to streamline the procedures for oversight, and introduce a set of new, common management system requirements for competent authorities to increase their efficiency.
NPA 2019-05 is divided into three parts.
NPA 2019-05 (A) includes:
- the procedural information pertaining to the regulatory proposal;
- the explanatory note to the proposed amendments;
- the regulatory impact assessment; and
- a detailed summary of the proposed amendments (see Chapter 7 ‘Appendices’).
NPA 2019-05 (B) proposes:
- the draft implementing rules (IRs) as well as the draft Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC) and Guidance Material (GM) for Part 21.
NPA 2019-05 (C) proposes:
- the draft implementing rules (IRs) as well as the draft Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC) and Guidance Material (GM) for Part-145.