Rulemaking task (RMT).0196 ‘Update of flight simulation training devices requirements’ has been divided into three work packages (WP1, WP2, and WP3). According to Rulemaking Programme (RMP) 2017-2021, the related documents are planned to be published between 2017 and 2019, in order to complete the modernisation of the certifications specifications (CSs) and acceptable means of compliance/guidance material (AMC/GM) on flight simulation training devices (FSTDs). The objective of this NPA (WP1) is to update CS-FSTD(A), as well as AMC/GM to Annex I (Part-FCL) and Annex VI (Part-ARA) to Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 (the ‘Aircrew Regulation’), to reflect the technological advancements in the field of FSTDs whilst ensuring that FSTD provisions and AMC/GM are fully in line with the current and proposed new training requirements and AMC/GM for flight crew (FC). Furthermore, it aims at supporting the competent authorities (CAs), FSTD operators, and training organisations, by providing a competencies framework for FSTD inspectors as well as guidance for the use of each type of FSTD based on the training need.
This NPA proposes to:
- increase the fidelity of the provisions in order to support the approach-to-stall training, as well as of the new upset prevention and recovery training (UPRT) requirements as proposed by Opinion 06/2017 (RMT.0581);
- increase the fidelity of the simulation of the engine and airframe icing effects;
- develop and deploy an instructor operating station (IOS) feedback tool;
- introduce an FSTD inspector competencies framework; and
- introduce guidance on the additional (non-mandatory) capability of each FSTD to assist stakeholders in defining the use of the appropriate FSTDs to support the training course syllabus as well as the CA in performing the evaluation.
Additionally, the NPA proposes the option to qualify FFSs for the post-stall regime based on a special evaluation. These optional fidelity and testing requirements, based on Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) 14 CFR Part 60, Change 2, would support FSTD operators having dual-qualified devices (both FAA- and EASA-qualified).