Stay informed on COVID-19 updates from EASARead more

FAQ n.116457

Are all remote pilots required to train to fly a drone?


Yes, in general, you need to have training that is proportionate to the category of drone you are going to operate.

Training is not required only if you are using very light drones:

 a. if the drone bears a CE class mark 0, you only must be familiar with the manufacturer’s instructions; or
 b. with privately built drones with a weight less than 250g, you are not required to undergo any training.

However, all other remote pilots must undergo the required training. 

This means that, in the ‘open’ category, all remote pilots flying in subcategories A1, A2 and A3 are required to:

  1. be familiar with the manufacturer’s manual;
  2. complete an online training course provided by the National Aviation Authority (please consult their website); and
  3. successfully complete an online theoretical knowledge examination (provided at the end of the online training) before they can fly the drone. 

The test consists of 40 multiple choice questions testing your knowledge as a pilot.

Drone test  certificate

Once completed the national National Aviation Authority will issue a certificate of completion of the online training. It enables you to fly in the in A1 and A3 subcategories

Regulatory reference: Annex part A (DRONE.OPEN.020) of EU regulation 2019/947. 

However, if you intend to operate in A2 subcategory, you must in addition to the above:

  1. Complete practical training of yourself in order to familiarise yourself with the drone and ensure you reach a good level of control. This must be conducted in an area where you do not pose a risk to other people; and
  2. Undergo an additional theoretical knowledge examination that will be provided in a facility identified by the National Aviation Authority;

The test consists of 30 multiple choice questions testing the pilot’s knowledge on mitigation of ground risks, meteorology and the drone’s flight performance.  

On completion, the National Aviation Authority issues a ‘certificate of remote pilot competency’. With this certificate, you can fly in the A2 subcategory.  

Regulatory reference: UAS.OPEN.030 Annex Part A of EU regulation 2019/947.

Last updated

Was this helpful?