This sub-Notice of Proposed Amendment (sub-NPA) addresses a level playing field issue related to fuel planning and management with regard to helicopter fuel requirements. Safety issues are addressed in the domain of refuelling and in-flight fuel management, while simplification, clarification and consistency issues are addressed in the domain of fuel planning.
The specific objective of this sub-NPA is to:
- regulate helicopter refuelling with rotors turning in alignment with the current industry best practices;
- pursue International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) developments, included in the ICAO State Letter AN 11/32.3.11-14/11 of 7 April 2014, subject to the adoption of Amendment 19 to ICAO Annex 6, Part III;
- align European Union (EU) rules for in-flight fuel manangement with current ICAO standards; and
- clarify and simplify the rules for helicopter fuel planning.
The proposed changes are expected to ensure harmonisation with ICAO and alignment with industry best practices.
This sub-NPA is part of a set of three sub-NPAs as follows:
- Sub-NPA 2016-06 (A): Aeroplanes — Annex I (Definitions), Part-ARO, Part-CAT
- Sub-NPA 2016-06 (B): Helicopters — Annex I (Definitions), Part-CAT, Part-SPA, Part-NCC, Part-NCO & Part-SPO
- Sub-NPA 2016-06 (C): Aeroplanes/helicopters — Part-NCC, Part-NCO &Part-SPO