Occurrence reporting is one of the safety tools that enables the management of safety for aviation organisations and States. This fact is acknowledged and developed in the European Regulatory framework through Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 and Regulation (EU) No 376/2014.
Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 contains specific reporting requirements placed in the Implementing Rules for the domain of:
- Commission Regulation (EU) No 748/2012 for design and production;
- Part 145 and Part M maintenance/continuing airworthiness;
- Air operations;
Regulation (EU) No 376/2014, applicable since 15 November 2015 to aviation professionals, organisations and Member States, complements the EU Occurrence Reporting framework and further develops the standards for reporting, collecting, storing, protecting and disseminating the relevant safety information.
Its main objectives are to:
- Prevent accidents through reporting, analysis and follow-up of relevant safety information at industry, national and EU level;
- Increase information exchange between aviation stakeholders by mean of the European Central Repository;
- Ensure continued availability of safety information by enhancing Just Culture.