The research objectives and expected outcome
Fully characterise the hazards related to the carriage of lithium batteries and Portable electronics Device (PED) by passengers in the aircraft cabin.
The main tasks and deliverables will
- Determine the extent of the consequences of fire and smoke caused by an event on the safe conduct of the flight
- Assess the limits related to battery design and number of PEDs on board to maintain acceptable risk level(s).
- Compare the scenarios assessed with the current limits established
- Assess and evaluate the needs or additional protective measures
- Identify gaps in the applicable regulatory provisions, needs to refine the guidance materials used by operators
Research Project details
This project will be funded from the European Union's Horizon Europe
research and innovation programme.
At Frauenhofer Gesellschaft
Project manager: Simon Holz, simon.holz [at] emi.fraunhofer.de
Technical lead: Victor Norrefeld, victor.norrefeldt [at] ibp.fraunhofer.de
Airbus and DLR.
Project manager: Emmanuel Isambert, emmanuel.isambert [at] easa.europa.eu
Technical lead: Lia Calleja Barcena, lia.calleja-barcena [at] easa.europa.eu