The objective of this Notice of Proposed Amendment (NPA) is to contribute to the achievement of the overall objectives of the EASA system, which are defined in Article 2 of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 (the Basic Regulation).
This NPA, therefore, proposes to:
- foster efficient and proportional rules, more precisely regarding:
- HEMS requirements for high altitudes;
- a new HEMS concept to cover mountain operations and rescue operations (other than search and rescue (SAR) operations);
- maintain a high aviation safety level by reviewing the requirements related to flights to/from public interest sites (PISs) located in congested areas; and
- maintain a high aviation safety level by reviewing the requirements related to HEMS flights by day or night, regarding equipment, training, minima, and operating/hospital site illumination.
The proposed draft amendments are expected to increase safety, improve harmonisation and ensure alignment with ICAO while keeping the economic impact for HEMS operators to a minimum.