CS-ETSO Amendment 17
The objective of this Decision is:
- to significantly reduce the risk of catastrophic accidents during human external cargo operations using rotorcraft
- to significantly reduce safety issues linked to offshore operations and address four safety recommendations issued by the UK Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) following helicopter accidents.
- to offer more possibilities for EU applicants to obtain ETSO authorisations as well as to align CS-ETSO with European operational requirements. These amendments are expected to ensure a level playing field for European manufacturers and will increase the cost-effectiveness of compliance demonstrations;
To this aim the Decision:
- mitigates the risks linked to the failures of electrical rotorcraft hoists during hoisting operations.
- introduces new ETSOs which are not part of the FAA TSOs series including ’Electronic light bag (EFB) software application approval” and “Helicopter terrain awareness and warning systems advanced features’;
- introduces new standards for parts which are to the extent possible, technically equivalent to the FAA TSOs including “Aircraft Portable Megaphones”; and
- reviews and aligns identified ETSOs to harmonise with the corresponding FAA TSOs.