CS-ETSO Amendment 17
The objective of this Decision is:
- to significantly reduce the risk of catastrophic accidents during human external cargo operations using rotorcraft
- to significantly reduce safety issues linked to offshore operations and address four safety recommendations issued by the UK Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) following helicopter accidents.
- to offer more possibilities for EU applicants to obtain ETSO authorisations as well as to align CS-ETSO with European operational requirements. These amendments are expected to ensure a level playing field for European manufacturers and will increase the cost-effectiveness of compliance demonstrations;
To this aim the Decision:
- mitigates the risks linked to the failures of electrical rotorcraft hoists during hoisting operations.
- introduces new ETSOs which are not part of the FAA TSOs series including ’Electronic light bag (EFB) software application approval” and “Helicopter terrain awareness and warning systems advanced features’;
- introduces new standards for parts which are to the extent possible, technically equivalent to the FAA TSOs including “Aircraft Portable Megaphones”; and
- reviews and aligns identified ETSOs to harmonise with the corresponding FAA TSOs.
Get notified via email alerts
Stay informed when this page is updated, or when we publish new content like this. You can always unsubscribe or update these settings later on.