ADR.7 What will be the transition period for complying with the European rules and certification specifications?
In terms of transition the most important articles of Regulation (EC) No 139/ 2014 are Art. 6 “Conversion of certificates” and Art. 11 “Entry into force and application”. The following “deadlines” are set in these:
- The conversion process of existing aerodrome certificates needs to be concluded by 31 December 2017 (see Art. 6 para. 1). At the point in time when an aerodrome obtains its new European based certificate (see Art. 11 para. 3), it needs to comply with the requirements in Annex III and IV of Regulation (EC) No 139/ 2014 (ADR.OR and ADR.OPS rules).
- Any aerodrome which at the point of coming into force of the new rules was in the process of being certified under national rules, was allowed to conclude this process by 31. December 2014. Now after this deadline has passed it canundergo the conversion of its certificate in accordance with Art. 6 and must have its certificate converted by 31 December 2017 (consequence of Art. 11 para. 4).
- All aerodromes which did not hold a national aerodrome certificate before the coming into force of Regulation (EC) No 139/ 2014 (i.e. 6 March 2014) shall comply with the requirements in annex III and IV from the date of issuance of a certificate which is based the European rules.
- After 6th March 2014 all new aerodromes or new infrastructure elements at an existing aerodromes shall be built to the certification specifications for aerodrome design and their aerodrome operators must comply with the requirements in annexes III and IV of Regulation (EC) No 139/ 2014 (this is the consequence of Art. 11).
- The competent authorities themselves have until 31 December 2017 to comply with the authority requirements in annex II of Regulation (EC) No 139/ 2014 (see Art. 11 para. 2).