E.5 - Travel time
The time spent by an expert in the means of transport is charged at the hourly rate. In general, standard average travel times are applied. The standard travel time is comprised of various components:
- If the outward or return journey is interrupted only for a change of transport mode (e.g. connecting flight) then 1 hour is added to the travel time regardless of the duration of the break itself.
- Travel time is counted from the time of departure from the normal place of work of the expert (or home, if he/she leaves directly from home) to his/her arrival at the destination. The destination shall be the place at which the expert is staying (if there is an overnight stay) or the place at which the certification task or service is to be performed.
- If the outward or return journey is interrupted for reasons unrelated to the certification/service task in question, then travel time is counted from the start of the leg that can be considered part of the certification/service task.
- No travel time will be charged for any kind of transport delay, regardless of the cause.
- No more than 12 hours travel time will be charged to any calendar day. For the purpose of travel time calculation, a calendar day is calculated on the basis of the local time at destination. This means that if an expert leaves Chicago the evening of day N and lands in Cologne on day N+1 he / she would have been travelling over 2 calendar days.