What are the areas of responsibility for the Agency?
The main tasks and responsibilities of the Agency as laid down in Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 are as follows:
- Assist the European Commission in the preparation of the common safety rules, and in the negotiation of the international aviation safety agreements;
- Issue certification specifications, acceptable means of compliance and guidance material;
- Certify aircraft, engines, propellers, parts and non-installed equipment;
- Approve certain organizations involved in aviation activities both in the EU and abroad;
- Authorize third country airlines to fly into the EU
- Assist the European Commission in monitoring correct application of common aviation safety requirements by EU Member States
- Cooperate with foreign civil aviation authorities, and regional and international organisations alike, in order to enhance aviation safety in Europe and worldwide.