When will the new rules on pilot licensing be applicable?
The new Implementing Rules implementing the requirements set out in Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 in the field of pilot licensing were published as Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 on Aircrew in the Official Journal of the European Union on 25 November 2011.
In November 2011, the first four annexes to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 on Aircrew were published:
- Annex I - Part-FCL (flight crew licensing)
- Annex II - Conditions for the conversion of existing national licences and ratings for aeroplanes and helicopters
- Annex III - Conditions for the acceptance of licences issued by or on behalf of third countries
- Annex IV - Part-MED (medical).
The remaining annexes were published in the Official Journal of the European Union on 5 April 2012 as Commission Regulation (EU) No 290/2012 amending Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 on Aircrew. These annexes are:
- Annex V - Part-CC (cabin crew)
- Annex VI - Part-ARA (authority requirements for aircrew)
- Annex VII - Part-ORA (organisation requirements for aircrew)
As stated in Article 12 paragraph 1 of Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 on Aircrew, the application date was 8 April 2012, though by way of derogation from this paragraph in accordance with Article 1 paragraph (6) and Article 2 paragraph 2. (a) of Commission Regulation (EU) No 290/2012, Member States could decide not to apply the provisions of the aforementioned Annexes until 8 April 2013.
The amending Regulation introduced additional transition measures deferring the applicability of certain Implementing Rules to a later date. Therefore the exact date of applicability of each requirement depends on the transition measures introduced by the Member States.
Until the date the new Implementing Rules apply, Member States national rules remain in force.
The related Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material to:
- Part-FCL were published as Decision 2011/016/R of 15 December 2011;
- Part-MED were published as Decision 2011/015/R of 15 December 2011;
- Part-CC were published as Decision 2012/005/R of 19 April 2012;
- Part-ARA were published as Decision 2012/006/R of 19 April 2012;
- Part-ORA were published as Decision 2012/007/R of 19 April 2012.