Implementing rules are Commission Regulations. They are usually composed of a short introductory regulation, colloquially known as ‘cover regulation’, and Annexes thereto, containing the technical requirements for implementation. In the EASA system, these Annexes are usually called Parts (e.g. Part-21 is an Annex to Regulation 1702/2003).
The ‘cover’ regulation is usually short (3-4 pages) and it includes:
- Considering clauses (“whereas”), explaining the principles and considerations that lead the legislator when adopting the Regulation;
- A description of the objective and scope of the regulation;
- Definitions that are used throughout the Regulation and its Annexes;
- the establishment of the applicability of its annex(es)
- Conversion and transition measures