Air Traffic Management and Operations
- En route horizontal flight efficiency is on track to meet the SES Performance Scheme 2019 target of no more than 2.60% additional distance flown.
- Airport arrival flow and taxi-out operational efficiencies are fairly stable.
- Key deliverables from the Single European Sky ATM Research Programme (SESAR) are now being deployed, with the aim to improve efficiency, reduce emissions and mitigate noise.
- The introduction of Free Route Airspace has saved more than 2.6 million tonnes of CO2 since 2014 (approximately 0.5% of total aviation CO2 emissions).
- Airport Collaborative Decision Making has been implemented at 28 airports.
- Continuous descent operations have potential for reducing both noise and CO2, especially in the European core area.
- The full potential from operational initiatives is not always achieved due to conflicting air navigation requirements (e.g. safety, environment, economic, capacity).