The main tasks of the Agency currently include:
- Drafting aviation safety legislation and providing technical advice to the European Commission
and to the Member States;
- Inspections and training to ensure uniform implementation of European aviation safety legislation in all Member States;
- Airworthiness and environmental type-certification of aeronautical products, parts and appliances;
- Approval of aircraft design organisations world-wide and of production and maintenance organisations outside the EU;
- Coordination of the European Community SAFA (Safety Assessment of Foreign Aircraft) programme;
- Coordination of safety programmes, data collection, analysis and research to improve aviation safety.